yoroi clan kyogoku Tozama Mineyama Tango

Ask your society- and samurai armor related questions here
Uwe Sacklowski

Re: yoroi clan kyogoku Tozama Mineyama Tango

Post by Uwe Sacklowski »

I’m sorry Michel!

Pm means “private message”. You can do it via the forum!

It’s sobering, I know, but I found alone 26 readings for “平”. Names are a real mess to translate :?
ImageThe Japanese Armor Society
Western Branch of the Nihon Katchū Bugu Kenkyū Hozon Kai
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Visit our website Visit our forum
Piers Dowding

Post by Piers Dowding »

Michel, it is a great honour to be called Luc. :D

Any name with 平 in it, will somehow reflect reverence for the Heike 平家 (Taira 平) Clan as distant ancestors. As a word on its own, actually it just means 'flat'. Usually it is found with the sound Hei, or in a compound word -pei.

(In the same way many families like to use this character 源 to show they are descended however distantly from the 源氏 Genji or 源 Minamoto. Also 藤 indicates a fondness in the heart for the 藤原 Fujiwara noble family.)

As to the translation, I am deep in a long translation so I do not want to get involved in this at the moment. Also, many people ask for the origins of the 紋/家紋 Mon/Kamon but even after years of searching very few find the exact answer. This is not to discourage you! :) But step by step one gets to Rome!

PS I really liked that Cossack saying, "Everything that is not given is lost". Thank you for that. I hope I can help you in some way when I have more time.
Michel Lavigne
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Michel Lavigne »

Uwe, thank you, I understood the enormous difficulty of kanji .... for the "PM" I will try to see how it works
Michel Lavigne

Post by Michel Lavigne »

Thank you Luc, I thought I had an 18th century armor, that's at least what the seller certified to me ... saul for the menpo ...... good in any case, it is a little out of the ordinary and of good quality ... on this subject (as I will only have one armor in my collection) I will put it in a display case sheltered from dust and can be cover the display case with a fabric in order to protect from light. I spent a long, soft brush holding the vacuum cleaner nozzle next to it in order to gently dust it off, on the other hand there is still a thin layer, I am taking all the advice possible to preserve it at better
Michel Lavigne

Post by Michel Lavigne »

Thank you Piers !! to take small steps (I have already been to Santiago de Compostela but on a "footbike" and not in Rome) (on the other hand I went to Florence to meet a togishi), in short, I just ask myself a question about the "kamon" for the kogyoku clan the same symbol is in a square (on the ko ji ho ten) and I admit that the "square" does not seem very practical to me to represent ... is there a strict rule where can the round be considered?
ps: I started "the collection" with the Cossacks, which I was in other times ...