Momonari

Ask your society- and samurai armor related questions here
Luc Taelman

Momonari

Post by Luc Taelman »

At this moment , we have some interesting discussions in the members section.
One of them is about momonari kabuto.
Attachments
IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG (98.26 KiB) Viewed 4710 times
ImageThe Japanese Armor Society
Western Branch of the Nihon Katchū Bugu Kenkyū Hozon Kai
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Visit our website Visit our forum
Peter Jones
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Momonari

Post by Peter Jones »

I have always been fascinated with the European connection associated with momonari Kabuto.
But I have a problem with the idea the momonari evolved from the cabasset.
The early type of momonari, like the one Luc posted above doesn't really look like a cabasset but I think it does look like the oriental depiction of a peach, hence it's name.
I would of thought if there is a European connection with the background of the momonari the Japanese would mention this in the name?
I wonder when this connection was first mentioned and does anyone know of a momonari that pre-dates the arrival of Europeans in Asia?

Peter
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

Peter Jones wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am
I would of thought if there is a European connection with the background of the momonari the Japanese would mention this in the name?
I wonder when this connection was first mentioned and does anyone know of a momonari that pre-dates the arrival of Europeans in Asia?

Peter
Good question!
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Jo Anseeuw

Post by Jo Anseeuw »

I will try to get an answer during the next society meeting in Tokyo. I will ask to make pictures again that I can share in the member section...

Jo
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

Jo Anseeuw wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:24 pm I will try to get an answer during the next society meeting in Tokyo. I will ask to make pictures again that I can share in the member section...

Jo
That would be great, Jo!
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Eric Tulin

Post by Eric Tulin »

Peter Jones wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am I have always been fascinated with the European connection associated with momonari Kabuto.
The early type of momonari, like the one Luc posted above doesn't really look like a cabasset but I think it does look like the oriental depiction of a peach, hence it's name.

Peter
Peter, you bring up an interesting question "does anyone know of a momonari that pre-dates the arrival of Europeans in Asia".....this may be a question that can be answered by Japanese enthusiasts / authorities on the subject but unfortunately the flow of information is currently strictly one way. I know of several other similar questions that may only be answered in Japan as well. The cross cultural exchange of information that is sorely needed has not happened yet. Without the ability of western enthusiasts being able to directly question Japanese enthusiasts we may never get answers to some questions, also any of our ideas, thoughts, findings etc. on the subject of Japanese armor will not get heard by the Japanese, very unfortunate situation which may be impeding our knowledge of the subject.
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

Eric Tulin wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:39 pm
Peter Jones wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am I have always been fascinated with the European connection associated with momonari Kabuto.

Peter
Peter, you bring up an interesting question "does anyone know of a momonari that pre-dates the arrival of Europeans in Asia".....this may be a question that can be answered by Japanese enthusiasts / authorities on the subject but unfortunately the flow of information is currently strictly one way. I know of several other similar questions that may only be answered in Japan as well. The cross cultural exchange of information that is sorely needed has not happened yet. Without the ability of western enthusiasts being able to directly question Japanese enthusiasts we may never get answers to some questions, also any of our ideas, thoughts, findings etc. on the subject of Japanese armor will not get heard by the Japanese, very unfortunate situation which may be impeding our knowledge of the subject.
Eric,

This is precisely the mandate of the Japanese Armor Society - to encourage and tap into the knowledge base that obviously exists in Japan and to foster exchange of this knowledge and ideas with some of the studies and expertise that have been developed in the West.

Hopefully the information will start to flow now that the forum is open...

Please also read "About this Forum" for important information on how the forum operates.
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Eric Tulin

Post by Eric Tulin »

John Wee Tom wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Eric,

This is precisely the mandate of the Japanese Armor Society - to encourage and tap into the knowledge base that obviously exists in Japan and to foster exchange of this knowledge and ideas with some of the studies and expertise that have been developed in the West.

Hopefully the information will start to flow now that the forum is open...

Please also read "About this Forum" for important information on how the forum operates.
John thanks, I did read the added info on the "members" section...according to Jo, I should be receiving an invoice from the NKBKHK for membership.....eventually.
Peter Jones

Post by Peter Jones »

Thank you Jo.
I wonder how old the idea of a european origin for the momonari actually is? Are the Japanese even aware of it?

Is it possible the whole concept was invented during the late 19th when there was a craze here for all things Japanese and at the same time a revival for european armour and an idea was just accepted as fact?

I would be very interested to know what the current thinking is in Japan on the subject.

Peter
Giuseppe Piva

Post by Giuseppe Piva »

Peter, actually I think it is quite well known that momonari kabuto derive directly from Portoguese helmets. Together with firearms, Europeans exported in fact also the best armor design to contrast bullets, which is to have them bounced and deviated rather than stopped with a plane surface.
Giuseppe Piva
Board Member

Giuseppe Piva Japanese Art
www.giuseppepiva.com