Kanshitsu

Ask your society- and samurai armor related questions here
John Wee Tom

Kanshitsu

Post by John Wee Tom »

In the Sen no Rikyu thread, Richard mentions that often these sculptures were made of kanshitsu - a method of construction where an object is "is fashioned with many layers of hemp cloth soaked with lacquer, the surface details being subsequently modelled with a mixture of lacquer, sawdust, powdered clay stone, and other materials", according to Wikipedia. I have a menpo that is made of kanshitsu. It is black lacquered with the moustache and imperial painted in silver lacquer with gold teeth and 3 stage tare. Since it's all in kanshitsu, it's extremely light and as a result, I doubt it had much protective qualities.

Does anyone know why these were made? A type of Noh mask, maybe?

ImageThe Japanese Armor Society
Western Branch of the Nihon Katchū Bugu Kenkyū Hozon Kai
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Visit our website Visit our forum
Richard Jones

Re: Kanshitsu

Post by Richard Jones »

John,
I think I saw this menpo a little while ago and hesitated in buying it. He who hesitates is lost! If this is the one then congratulations, it has found a good home and I’m green with envy! I’d be interested to know your thoughts on how rigid the mask is and how old you think it is. Has it any signs of wear? My initial thoughts when I saw this was it was very late Edo (Bakumatsu) and must be a display piece for dressing an armour or failing that a lightweight parade piece possibly for use in the Gyoretsu. I have read of examples of polearms produced in wood and possibly kanshitsu that look the part but weigh next to nothing and were used in the Gyoretsu during the 19th century. This may be an example of such a piece, as you say it’s properties as a piece of armour are practically zero. But as a show piece it’s a real work of art, a rare find.

Richard
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Forum Staff
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

Richard Jones wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 pm John,
I think I saw this menpo a little while ago and hesitated in buying it. He who hesitates is lost! If this is the one then congratulations, it has found a good home and I’m green with envy! I’d be interested to know your thoughts on how rigid the mask is and how old you think it is. Has it any signs of wear? My initial thoughts when I saw this was it was very late Edo (Bakumatsu) and must be a display piece for dressing an armour or failing that a lightweight parade piece possibly for use in the Gyoretsu. I have read of examples of polearms produced in wood and possibly kanshitsu that look the part but weigh next to nothing and were used in the Gyoretsu during the 19th century. This may be an example of such a piece, as you say it’s properties as a piece of armour are practically zero. But as a show piece it’s a real work of art, a rare find.

Richard
I completely agree with your thoughts, Richard - including your dating of the piece. Art not armour.
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Peter Jones
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Peter Jones »

John,

Beautiful menpo.
This would have been an expensive commission for a man of some rank.
I was told once that nerikawa armour was popular with older men due to it’s light weight so perhaps your mask fits in with this idea.