Cultural Exchange

Ask your society- and samurai armor related questions here
John Wee Tom

Cultural Exchange

Post by John Wee Tom »

Together with fellow Japanese Armor Society board members, Luc Taelman and Jo Anseeuw, I had the honour of being invited to a wonderful luncheon with Nihon Katchu Bugu Kenkyu Hozon Kai (the Association for the Research and Preservation of Japanese Helmets and Armor) senior board member, Ueda-san at the elegant Tenmasa, an exquisite tempura restaurant with panoramic views of Tokyo. Afterward, the gracious and good-natured Ueda-san brought us to his home to see his esteemed collection. A katchu-lover's delight!

ImageThe Japanese Armor Society
Western Branch of the Nihon Katchū Bugu Kenkyū Hozon Kai
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Visit our website Visit our forum
Uwe Sacklowski

Re: Cultural Exchange

Post by Uwe Sacklowski »

Watch this with a touch of envy.... :P
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

Uwe,

We also had the privilege of visiting and seeing some of the collection of Takamura-san - the author of the ground-breaking article "Eastern and Western Armours from the Point of View of Kanto-style Suji Kabuto" from issue no. 196 of the NKBKHK newsletter.
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Uwe Sacklowski

Post by Uwe Sacklowski »

Enjoy!
We expect a detailed report afterwards..... 8-)
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

I think I can speak for Jo and Luc in saying that yesterday was one we shall never forget - and another monumental step in the growth and development of the Japanese Armor Society.

This is because for the first time in it's long history, the executive branch of the NKBKHK in Tokyo invited non-Japanese to attend the shinsa in an official capacity. In fact, this is the first time that individuals who were not shinsa judges were even allowed to be in the room. For those of you who do not know what a shinsa is, it is an annual event at which individuals are able to bring their Japanese armor items to be evaluated and judged for their authenticity, age and quality as deemed by the shinsa committee, which is drawn from the NKBKHK executive and of course, includes the top experts and scholars of Japanese Armor in the world.

This was obviously an honour of the highest order and it speaks volumes for the willingness and efforts being made by the NKBKHK to be more open, inclusive and modern in its approach, while maintaining true to its standards, ethos and cultural traditions. The organization has come under criticism in some circles (including from certain vocal individuals here in the west) for sometimes not being with the times, but this gesture - along with several conversations we had with the executive team - is just the first step in fostering the exchange of culture, knowledge, experience and fellowship which is the mission of the Japanese Armor Society.

The Japanese Armor Society is now the second largest branch of the NKBKHK (next to the the Main branch) and as even the president of the NKBKHK, Nagata-san said to us yesterday, he is incredibly impressed by our growth and development and is excited to participate with us as we move forward. I am pleased to confirm that he, along with several of the executives and shinsa team will be attending the Japanese Legacy III Symposium in Leiden and also the After-Tour. Not coincidentally, we have also discussed the first shinsa to be held outside of Japan at a future Japanese Legacy event, so stay tuned for these exciting developments.

Unfortunately, for obvious reasons, photographs of the items were not permitted but I am pleased to share pictures of the shinsa team:

From L-R: Jo Anseeuw (Nkbkhk board member); Matsumoto-san (Shinsa Judge and one of the top collectors in the world); Nishioka-san (Shinsa Judge and renowned armor expert and restorer; Takemura-san (Shinsa Judge, armor expert, scholar and collector); Nagata-san (NKBKHK President, Shinsa Judge, armor expert and collector); Luc Taelman (JAS President); Orikasa-san (Shinsa Judge, renowned and published armor expert and scholar); yours truly

From L-R: Otsuka-san (collector); Luc; Jo; Takemura-san; Matsumoto-san; Nagata-san; Orikasa-san

The JAS team with Orikasa-sensei
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Richard Jones

Post by Richard Jones »

John, Jo and Luc,
Congratulations, I feel a real bridge has been built and to be involved in a NKBKHK shinsa is a huge honour.
As for the detractors, my perspective is how would a western armour society focusing on medieval armour deal with Japanese ‘enthusiasts’ expressing their ‘expert’ opinion?
I think the approach of the NKBKHK is correct, they have been helpful, polite and nurturing with our fledgling JAS. Thanks to your hard work and scholarly approach the JAS and its members now have the recognition of its parent organisation, a solid foundation to build upon. I look forward to the contribution of NKBKHK members on this forum and to our meeting in Leiden next year,
I think a real cultural exchange has taken place. Again congratulations John, Jo and Luc,

Richard
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Forum Staff
Luc Taelman

Post by Luc Taelman »

Thanks Richard,
I can only repeat what John says.
For me, participating the shinsa was pure fun, seeing approximately 80 items and discuss them with the most knowledeabe experts on earth...
but it Was Jo Anseeuw who made this fantastic adventure possible and I can not thank him enough for this.
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Uwe Sacklowski

Post by Uwe Sacklowski »

It was an exciting read John!
I can only echo Richard, with an whiff of proud, that the work of our association was honored this way. An incredible progress for the JAS and the whole western katchu community!
Special thanks to our "deputation", Luc, Jo, John :)
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
John Wee Tom

Post by John Wee Tom »

Luc Taelman wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:32 am
but it Was Jo Anseeuw who made this fantastic adventure possible and I can not thank him enough for this.
Here, here, Luc!!
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member
Luc Taelman

Post by Luc Taelman »

We are also talking about a 'samurai- trip' around Japan, open to all members of the JAS.
This under the wings of our Japanese friends.
日本甲冑武具研究保存会
Board Member